SPRING CLEANING 2019 - DAY ONE
Check Your Drawers
Time to sort your stuff. Maybe your whole house has been recently Kondo’d and everything you own is already folded into neat little rectangles or tucked inside small boxes. If not, let’s get ready to Spark Joy! Don’t worry, we’re not going to make you go the full Marie Kondo, but before we clean, we have to sort and toss. This will be painless, easy and feel so good when you’re done!
Pick a drawer (any drawer) and make a start. This is a great way to get into your cleaning groove and it’s easily one of the most satisfying jobs you can do. I like to work from the top down, or from the back to the front of the house. Maybe start with your nightstand, your sock drawer or the junk drawer in the kitchen. Once you're done, let that feeling of accomplishment serve as your motivation to keep going. Stick to drawers only. We’ll get to the pantry, closet and medicine cabinet later. You’re a cleaning machine!
HOW TO DO IT:
- Have your bags & boxes ready to sort through toss and keep items.
- Spread your used bed sheet/towel out on the floor and dump out your drawer.
- Spritz the inside of your drawers with Furniture Cleaner, wipe clean and let dry while you sort. I like to use cotton buds (Q-Tips) to get into the corners and really clean them.
- Once you’ve sorted through and thrown out everything you don’t love (be ruthless!) put the good stuff back and move onto another drawer.
- TIP: Use a timer and allow yourself no more than 10 minutes per drawer to sort and clean. Don’t get stuck looking at old letters or photos or you’ll lose your momentum!
REWARD: It may sound trivial, but the reward portion of this exercise is a key part of achieving your daily cleaning activities. It’s super important to assign yourself something you like as a reward for doing the task to completion. It can be linked to the job you’re doing (like using the spare change/coupons you find to get yourself a small treat) or something completely random like a bubble bath; a new exotic tea, lip balm or whatever floats your boat. The main thing is to visualize your reward goal and get there.
Congratulations! You’re on your way to a cleaner, more organized home.
NEXT WEEK: We dust and vacuum!